INDOOR TENNIS IN BANBURY
The Banbury Tennis Hub Project aims to grow participation in tennis across North Oxfordshire, and neighbouring villages through more people playing more tennis more regularly.
North Oxfordshire is growing – fast! Tennis is a popular sport across the area with town and village tennis clubs hosting thousands of hours of tennis from Juniors to adults and seniors of all levels. Match leagues, local tennis ladders and schemes to introduce people back to tennis or new to tennis, as well as new cardio tennis all provide a wide offer to those wanting to participate in the sport.
BUT! Our region has only 3 public courts for non members to use, all in Banbury central. We also have no indoor or covered courts to make the sport attractive to all across the year.
Our aim is to change that!
June 2019 Update
The group has reached some significant milestones in the last 12 months. Following changes in the structure of our governing body, the LTA, and a rethink of how they wish to invest in growing tennis across the UK, we are now at an important point in the development of the indoor tennis centre.
The Town and District Councils are looking at potential sites with us. Banbury Town Council, Cherwell DC, and the LTA are all in agreement that a tennis centre will help meet the needs of the Banbury area now, and for the years to come. The recent sport strategy review conducted by Cherwell DC has identified a lack of provision for the sport, and a need to increase it in the area. This has recently been adopted as part of the Sports & Leisure Strategy Plan.
To make the centre work, it will be considered alongside other activities which also need additional provision, such as sports pitches, and gym & fitness facilities.
PROGRESS & NEXT STEPS
– A core group involving local tennis clubs, LTA and local authority decision makers has been preparing a plan for the last 18 months
– We have gained formal approval from Cherwell DC to the plan to grow tennis provision, and build an indoor centre
– Now, to conduct a feasibility study of the potential sites, and make a choice on a preferred location
– Work with the LTA, Banbury Town Council, Cherwell DC and other local organisations to provide funding
– Recommend a preferred structure to govern, and operate the centre. This might be an existing operator of tennis and multisport facilities. A robust business plan is an essential part of this
– The LTA to provide expertise and buying power to get the best facilities at the best price – Planning & Building the centre
AT BANBURY LOCAL CLUBS
– Committees and members are encouraged to continue to develop their business & investment plans
– LTA long term interest-free loans are available for many projects
– Commitment to work together, share best practice, develop programmes to grow tennis in the local area
Who are we? – We are a group of leaders and members of tennis clubs across the area around Banbury, as well as leaders from local authority and sports bodies, including the LTA. We’re determined to encourage children and adults, who fall in love with the sport, be able to continue to play when the winter comes. We also have a desire to improve the facilities for our players, grow the numbers participating, and make the game more accessible.
What does it look like? – Well, it’s two things.
Firstly a new tennis facility in Banbury with indoor courts, accessible by all, and providing year round tennis for individuals, groups, teams, club members from the area, and school children.
Secondly, it’s a centre of excellence for tennis provision. A centre where talented players can be recognised, compete against others at their level, and receive high quality coaching. It will also provide a centre for schools in the area to introduce children to the sport, and for the public to play. A place for groups to learn and play tennis with players at a similar level.
Our Partner Organisations
Clubs WIthin Our Scope